Application Criteria / Application Process
Interested in Completing A Tenant Application?
Ready to fill out a tenant application? Completing the tenant application process for a rental home has never been easier!
Our process is completed online using state-of-the art property management software. This way, you can do it whenever and wherever you can!
For the tenant application process, we welcome all applicants, and support equal access and Fair Housing laws. Palomar
Property Services will not refuse access to any housing, accommodation, or other interest in property or otherwise discriminate
against an applicant on the basis of age, sex, race, religion, marital or familial status, physical or mental handicap, color,
creed, ethnicity, national origin or sexual orientation.
- Application processing time
- Palomar Property Services (PPS) makes every effort to process applications within 24 to 72 business hours of receipt, provided that the Applicant has provided all the necessary paperwork.
- The processing of an application may take several days if we do not receive a response from previous and present landlords, employers and other references.
- PPS will make a reasonable attempt to contact previous and present landlord(s), employers and references submitted by each Applicant; however, the ultimate responsibility for supplying this information lies with the Applicant.
- NOTE: PPS reserves the right to deny tenancy based on an inability to contact the previous and present landlord(s), employers and references provided.
- PPS will keep you updated on the progress of your application. You are always welcome to check on the status of your application if you have not received a response within 48 business hours of submission.
- Some properties are in high demand, therefore there may be applications submitted at the time you submit your application. We cannot guarantee any unit, although it may be available at the time your application is submitted. Units are rented to the first approved Applicant with the full security deposit paid. A security deposit will not be accepted until the rental application(s) are approved.
- A Government issued picture ID will be requested at the time you submit your application for processing.
- Each person over the age of 18 years who intends to reside in the subject dwelling unit must submit a separate Rental Application.
- Residing in a property is defined as living at the property for more than two weeks in a calendar year.
- Each Applicant applying must qualify solely regarding the following: credit, employment and rental history. For Income Verification requirements that are outlined below, PPS will consider the sum of the Applicants.
- Applications must be filled out completely and submitted electronically.
- Application Fees must be paid prior to processing the rental application.
- The application fee is $45 per person and anyone 18 years of age or older must apply.
- The application fee is NON-REFUNDABLE.
- The application fee covers the cost of processing your application and obtaining a credit report. Applicants acknowledge and accepts that Palomar Property Services represents the owner of the property for which Applicant is applying.
- *All applications are subject to final approval by the owner.
The background check consists of collecting and reviewing the following information:
- Credit score
- Rent-to-income verification
- Employment verification
- Identity verification
- Eviction records
- Rental history
Yes, credit scores are important to us, but we are more interested in the things that created the credit score than the score itself. A less than desirable credit score may be offset by great rental history and solid income.
- 650-850 = Standard Approval*
- 600-649 = Conditional Approval* (typically requires increased deposit)
- Below 600= Credit scores below 600 will not be approved
*Other factors that may affect the overall approval
The Gross monthly income must be a minimum of 2.5 times the monthly rent. You will be required to provide proof of income whether you are employed by a 3rd party, or self-employed.
If an Applicant has a current mortgage on their credit report, Applicant must show gross income that is 2.5 times the monthly rent PLUS enough net income to cover their mortgage. When applicable, Applicant will also be required to provide closing documents to show that the home with the mortgage showing on the credit report has been sold OR a lease showing the home is currently being leased for a period of twelve (12) months or more.
If you work for a third-party employer, you will need to provide the following proof of income:
- copies of your last two pay stubs covering a minimum of one month and showing year to date income
- tax returns (if applicable)
If you are self-employed, you will need to provide the following for proof of income verification:
- bank statements
- tax returns
- Year to date profit and loss statement(s)
You will need to provide rental references for a minimum of 3 years of verifiable rental history from a third-party landlord. If you have rental history shorter than 12 months, an increased deposit may be required. If your rental history includes any of the following: two or more late payments and or two or more late notices within a 12-month period, one or more NSF charges, an eviction, excessive lease violations, excessive property damage, unauthorized tenants/pets at the property, pest infestations due to tenant negligence, failure to vacate when properly served, noise or nuisance violations, or an outstanding balance owed, you will not be approved for a lease.
Pets and Animals
Pet and Animal policies vary from one property to another and this includes but is not limited whether or not they will be allowed at the property, total number, types and breads, and when applicable HOA Rules and Regulations may have restrictions on quantity, types, breads and sizes. Service and Support Animals are exempt from these policies and restrictions. Any pet or animal to be considered as part of the application process will be subject to a pet screening charge of $20 for one pet or animal and $15 for the second pet or animal if the property will allow more than one pet and or animal. A certified Service or Support Animal will not pay a screening fee. Applicants must be prepared to provide the following for each pet or animal: photo, name, breed, weight, veterinarian name and vaccine information, age, as well as other information requested as part of the application process, when registering each of their pets or animals.
Special consideration will be given to Service and Support Animals that are registered and certified to an Applicant and proper and current documentation will be required for verification as part of the screening process. As a standard policy, PPS will provide reasonable accommodations and follow HUD guidelines regarding Service and Support Animals.
A single or combined occurrence of the following will more than likely result in a declined application
- Any collection filed by a property management company or landlord
- Unlawful detainer action/eviction
- Balance owing to a current or past landlord
- Extreme negative and adverse rental history
- Documented complaints and/or damages
- Multiple late payments or notices to pay or vacate
- Statement by landlord, such as "WOULD NOT RE-RENT"
- Failure to cooperate with housing assistance program requirements while receiving benefits
- Unverifiable social security number
- Falsification of any document(s)
- Falsification or failure to disclose any information on rental application
- Collection filings caused by breaking a lease agreement
- Outstanding bad debts being reported on credit report of more than $100 but less than $1000 may be accepted with proof and proper explanation
- Excessive balances sent to collections
- Outstanding debt to a property management company or previous/current landlord
- Any Applicant with a bankruptcy not showing as discharged will be denied until proof of discharge is provided
- After a bankruptcy has been discharged, Applicant may be required to show six (6) months of positive established credit