Per the terms of your lease agreement, it is a tenant's responsibility to transfer and pay for all utilities available to the property (Gas & Electric, Propane, Water, Trash, TV, Telephone, etc.).

Palomar Property Services has partnered with Citizens Home Solutions to provide concierge utility services to all new tenants. Citizens Home Solutions is a fast, easy and free service that will take care of all of your utility services and moving needs. They will ensure that you get the best rate and deals that are available for your home! Typically, they can take care of everything for you with only one phone call. Please click on the link below.


For your convenience, we have also provided a list of common utility providers. Make sure you have all utilities transferred into your name prior to your move-in date, as keys will not be provided until proof of utility transfer has been confirmed.

San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E):

San Diego Gas & Electric services all of San Diego County for electricity and natural gas services. Schedule your Start, Stop and Move requests online. Make an online request: select your date, set up your appointment and provide some additional information. It’s that easy.


To call and speak with SDG&E Customer Service, call one of these numbers below:
Customer Service, Billing and General Information: representatives are available 24 hours a day. Residential: (800) 411-7343.

For speech or hearing impaired customers, TDD/TTY: Available 24 hours per day, seven days per week (877) 889-7343. Emergencies Only Customer Service Representatives are available 24 hours a day (800) 611-7343.

Water / Sewer / Trash & Recycle

Please note that some cities have multiple utility service providers, depending on your property address. Please contact any of the departments listed under your city name and determine which utility service provider services your specific property.


There are 3 utility service providers in Carlsbad:

Carlsbad Municipal Water District (CMWD): (760) 602-2420.

Olivenhain Municipal Water District (OMWD): (760) 753-6466.

Vallecitos Water District: (760) 744-0460.

Trash Service for Olivenhain and Vallecitos Districts – Waste Management: (760) 439-2824.


There are 2 water districts serving Encinitas:

San Dieguito Water District (SDWD): (760) 633-2658.

Olivenhain Municipal Water District (OMWD): (760) 753-6466.

Trash – EDCO (Encinitas): (760) 436-4151.


There are 6 utility service providers in Escondido:

City of Escondido Utilities – Billing Department (Water / Sewer/ Trash): (760) 839-4682.

Rincon Del Diablo Municipal Water District: (760) 745-5522.

Olivenhain Municipal Water District: (760) 753-6466.

Vista Irrigation: (760) 597-3100.

Vallecitos Water District: (760) 744-0460.

Valley Center Municipal Water District: (760) 735-4500.

Trash: Escondido Disposal Inc. (City of Escondido): (760) 745-3203.

Trash: EDCO (San Diego County): (760) 745-3203.


Utility Service Division City of Oceanside: (760) 435-3900.

Trash: Waste Management: (760) 439-2824.


Poway Utility Billing Department (Water & Sewer): (858) 668-4401.

Trash: EDCO (San Diego County): (858) 748-7769.

San Diego:

There are multiple service providers in San Diego:

City of San Diego Public Utilities Department: (619) 515-3500.

Trash Service – City of San Diego ES: (858) 694-7000.

San Marcos:

Vallecitos Water District: (760) 744-0460.

Trash – EDCO (San Marcos): (760) 744-2700.


There are multiple utility service providers in Vista:

Vista Irrigation District: (760) 597-3100.

Vallecitos Water District: (760) 744-0460.

Rainbow Municipal Water District: (760) 728-1178.

Trash: EDCO (Vista): (760) 744-2700.